The post holder is to lead a small team that is responsible for the procurement of a wide range of projects or schemes to repair and maintain the Council's housing stock and corporate and operational buildings. This post holder will review existing contracts and develop a detailed procurement strategy, obtain gateway approval, select appropriate forms of contract, determine cost models, contract lengths, packaging of works and performance management for reactive, planned and cyclical works.
* To manage and tender a wide range of projects or schemes with effective procurement strategy in accordance with standing orders and EU requirements. * To analyses and assess tender returns obtained from suppliers and produce detailed reports and evaluation mechanism. * Co-ordinate staff, to ensure effective delivery of tender processes, and to achieve planned deadlines. * Provide a value for money service which meets customer expectations * Ensure expenditure is managed within the available budget and strictly in accordance with levels of delegated authority and the Council's Financial Regulations * Ensure all construction work is carried out in accordance with the latest Health and Safety, and Construction Design and Management Regulations * Arrange for all contract procurement to be undertaken in accordance with Council policy and procedures including the preparation of tender documentation, selecting contractors, obtaining quotations or tenders, awarding contracts and raising work orders
* To prepare feasibility studies, develop new initiatives and concepts and produce detailed specifications and design solutions for modernization and improvement projects within the capital investment program that comply with the latest planning, health and safety and building regulations requirements including obtaining all necessary permissions * Ensure documentation and certification are completed and computer records are updated to assist with business planning * Ensure services are efficient, continually improving and responsive to tenants and residents changing needs * Manage and authorise work orders and variations including negotiating schedules of rates, resolving invoice disputes and contractual claims and approving payments for completed work * Monitor and report on contractors' performance and completion of works * Answering any correspondence from tenants and leaseholders, tenant's representatives, Members of the Council and Members of Parliament with respect to capital and planned maintenance works complaints or enquires about service delivery relating to the Council's housing stock. * Attend public meetings with tenants, leaseholders and building users both during and out of normal office working hours and at weekends including preparing and presenting reports and briefings at such meetings * Provide evidence to the Health and Safety Executive, Police and Judiciary in respect of relevant issues including attending Court as a witness on behalf of the Council
* Promote locality working and support tenant and leaseholder groups * Promote customer care, equality and diversity best practice. * Attend information events and meetings outside normal office working hours and at weekends as and when required * Chair meetings and represent the Contracts manager as and when required * Deputise for other project managers to ensure essential service delivery cover is maintained * Participate in continuous professional development
This job description is intended as a general guide to the duties attached to the post and is
not an inflexible specification. It may therefore be altered from time to time to reflect the
changing needs of the department, always in conjunction with the post holder.
Knowledge & Experience
Candidates must have substantial knowledge and experience in the following areas of business and will be required to provide evidence of this:
* Experience of delivering capital and planned maintenance programmes of work * Experience of procurement and tendering * Significant experience of managing budgets * Detailed knowledge of construction health and safety, and the duties of Construction Design and Management coordinator (CDM-c) * Detailed knowledge of planning and building regulation legislation * Detailed knowledge of relevant legislation and good practice * A proven commitment to partnership working and engaging service users in service development
* HNC in Construction or equivalent experience or housing qualification * 2 years' experience in procurement and tendering regulations. * Current driving licence
* Recommend solutions for tendering capital and planned maintenance works * Deciding on most cost effective solution to carry out contract delivery. * Approving expenditure and manage programmes within budget * Initiating corrective action for poor performance by contractors
Creativity and Innovation
* Identifying and introducing service improvements * Flexibility in the tender requirements for the programmes of works. * Producing communication presentations and articles