JOB DESCRIPTION The Senior OLE Engineer works within the Hybrid Bill Delivery Team part if Phase 2b on High Speed 2 providing an essential specialist engineering role. This role involves extensive interaction with multidisciplinary teams across engineering functions as well as providing engineering support to HS2's property and stakeholder teams helping facilitate negotiations with affected parties. The Senior OLE Engineer reports to the Project Engineering Manager.
Please note this role is deemed inside of IR35 (therefore subject to PAYE tax). The role can also be permanent paying £70k + pkg.
1. JOB PURPOSE 1.1 Support the delivery of cost -effective design solutions for OLE in accordance with HS2's project and statutory requirements, reviewing and assessing technical OLE submissions from Professional Service Consultants (PSCs) determining compliance with standards and requirements.
2. ACCOUNTABILITIES 2.1 Lead the delivery of safe and affordable OLE design solutions that meet requirements and ensure value for money at each stage of the HS2 development. 2.2Guide OLE PSCs, drawing on expertise from within HS2 informing and supporting PSCs in delivering design work that complies with HS2 contractual and commercial requirements. 2.3 Identify, assess and manage OLE design risks within the project. 2.4 Ensure technical submissions comply with the accepted format and design requirements. 2.5 Provide OLE expert technical and engineering input, designs, documentation and responses required supporting the hybrid bill through parliament including additional provisions, freedom of information requests, and technical requests. 2.6 Attend public consultation and planning forums, working with local communities identifying priorities and meeting with petitioners and affected parties, understanding their concerns to develop the design. 2.7 Liaise with external stakeholders fully capturing their input and balance that with the overall HS2 business and technical OLE requirements. 2.8 Explore opportunities for developing local community benefits and solutions; and 2.9 Lead Guide a team of OLE Engineers ensuring objectives and personnel development targets are set and achieved. Interface with National Grid in respect of Traction Power design 2.10 Ensure the Hybrid Bill OLE designs for HS2 Phase Two meets the requirements of the 'end state' railway for in terms of operability and reliability. 2.11 Act as the interface between the development directorate and the Railway Operations Directorate. 2.12 Act as the interface between Technical Directorate and the area teams ensuring design
3. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE 3.1 Degree in Electrical engineering or equivalent relevant industry experience . 3.2 Chartered engineer (or equivalent relevant experience). 3.3 Extensive knowledge of rail traction and OLE engineering design principles required achieving optimal design outputs. 3.4 Ability to carry out robust independent checks on a wide variety of OLE designs and produce, interpret and assess OLE specifications, standards and technical reports. 3.5 Ability to resolve complex design problems, demonstrating a tenacious approach to tackling problems whilst maintaining attention to detail. 3.6 Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a range of multidisciplinary stakeholders, demonstrating excellent influencing skill. 3.7 Ability to communicate, engage and influence a variety of external stakeholders at public forums. 3.8 Ability to communicate complex issues to stakeholders. 3.9 Strong written and spoken communication skills, strong interpersonal and influencing skills. 3.10 Strong planning and organisational skills, delivering under pressure meeting tight deadlines whilst gathering input from other functions. 3.11 Extensive experience of OLE design and engineering, ranging from feasibility to detail design, working on a large, complex infrastructure project. 3.12 Understanding of NR Electrification standards 3.132 Desirable - appreciation of UK Master Series OLE
4. DECISION MAKING 4.1 Makes complex technical and managerial decisions with respect to the review and assessment of OLE engineering design, negotiating with internal stakeholders and consultants ensuring compliance with standards and regulations. Works within broadly defined guidelines, principles and policies providing an influential role persuading and advising others in achieving project goals. Some highly complex decision making is escalated to the Project Engineering Manager, or made collectively with input from Project Engineering Manager.
5. FACTS AND FIGURES 5.1 Limited budgetary responsibility and Accountable for indirect impact on overall HS2 budget through OLE design. 5.2 Line management responsibility for OLE Engineers, if included within the project, as well as management of OLE PSC teams.
6. OTHER CONTEXTUAL 6.1 The Senior OLE Engineer works within the Hybrid Bill Delivery Team providing an essential specialist engineering role. This role involves extensive interaction with multidisciplinary teams across engineering functions as well as providing engineering support to HS2's property and stakeholder teams helping facilitate negotiations with affected parties. 6.2 Work is allocated in relation to a specific section of the route and involves travel to meetings and events outside the normal place of work, and may require flexible working in order to meet project deadlines